Howard Kennedy strengthens Real Estate team with new partner and head of planning
Howard Kennedy has strengthened its Real Estate team with the appointment of partner Martha Grekos.
Martha joined the firm as a Partner and Head of Planning on 5 September from Irwin Mitchell, where she led its planning and infrastructure team. She was previously at Eversheds, Herbert Smith and Berwin Leighton Paisner.
Consistently ranked as one of the leading planning lawyers in the UK by Planning magazine, The Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners, Martha brings to Howard Kennedy expertise in all aspects of planning and environmental law, transport, energy and infrastructure work. She has a particular focus on the promotion and implementation of large complex regeneration schemes and major infrastructure projects.
Her work includes redevelopment projects that are often politically sensitive, involving large environmental impact assessments, compulsory purchase orders, highway orders, planning agreements and appeal court proceedings.
On joining Howard Kennedy, Martha said:
Howard Kennedy is an entrepreneurial law firm that collaborates with its clients to deliver a commercial outcome. Its 84-strong Real Estate department is behind some of the most exciting commercial, retail, leisure, residential and mixed use regeneration schemes in London and the South East, and I am thrilled to be leading its expanding planning team.
Julian Hindmarsh, Partner and Chairman of the Real Estate department at Howard Kennedy adds:
We are delighted with Martha’s decision to lead our Planning team. She has a first rate track record, acting on major development and infrastructure schemes across the country. She will be a terrific asset to the firm and our clients.
Recent examples of Martha’s work include:
- Acting for Almacantar on the planning permission and agreements for the £350 million residential-led conversion of the 1960s Centre Point Tower and for the development of Marble Arch Tower, a leading mixed-use development.
- Advising Barking Riverside, a joint venture between the GLA and L&Q, on the largest housing development in the Thames Gateway (10,400 homes).
- Acting for Caudwell Properties on the planning permission for the redevelopment of Audley Square car park into a £2 billion luxury residential scheme.
- Acting for Lend Lease on the planning permission for the Heygate Estate at the heart of the £1.5bn Elephant and Castle regeneration.
- Acting for London Underground on its joint venture with CapCo to gain planning permission for the 69 acre, 6,770 home masterplan for the redevelopment of Earls Court.
- Acting for Land Securities on the major public inquiry on the planning application for 20 Fenchurch Street, the ‘Walkie Talkie’ tower.
The appointment of Martha follows in July the appointment of Carl Asser as Partner and Head of Construction.
About Howard Kennedy
Howard Kennedy has 53 partners and numbers 350 people in total and works alongside national and international clients across many disciplines, including banking, corporate and commercial, family, finance, employment, dispute resolution, intellectual property, private client, real estate and tax. Howard Kennedy has particular focus on the Financial Services, Media and Technology, Real Estate, Retail and Leisure, Sports Individuals sectors.
Maitland, Public Relations email@example.com
Daryl Atkinson, Business Development & Marketing DirectorHoward KennedyDaryl.Atkinson@howardkennedy.com