Howard Kennedy recruits renewable expert into the Partnership
Law firm Howard Kennedy has strengthened its offering to clients following the recruit of leading renewable energy expert and new partner Jonathan Cohen.
Jonathan joins the firm on 16 October from legal giant Eversheds Sutherland, where he led the distributed energy and energy storage groups.
Jonathan is an industry recognised lawyer with vast experience in the renewables and energy sectors. He has worked on and led many high-profile transactions in the energy sector both in the UK and internationally and across all clean technologies, including offshore and onshore wind, solar PV, CHP, district heating, geothermal and energy storage. He also has a strong track record in advising on traditional energy generation projects.
His clients include utility companies, large industrial energy consumers, property developers, lenders and sponsors.
On joining the firm Jonathan said:
Howard Kennedy is a very ambitious and refreshing law firm. It has a terrific client following and my skill sets complement, in particular, the requirements of its strong property developer and funds client base. I am delighted to be joining the firm and look forward to working alongside the team and building the practice further.
Keith Lassman, Partner and Head of Capital Markets, said:
Jonathan is a highly respected energy lawyer with a strong and successful career. We are thrilled by his decision to join Howard Kennedy and look forward to the contributions he will bring.
Highlights from Jonathan's recent career include:
- Advising Stratford City Business District, a joint venture between Lend Lease and London & Continental Railways, in connection with its district heating and cooling requirements at the Olympic development site;
- Advising on the £5.8bn sale of EDF Energy plc’s electricity distribution networks business to UK Power Networks part of the Cheung Kong Infrastructure group;
- Acting for a US hedge fund on the acquisition of the then largest offshore wind farm in the UK, the 100-wind turbine, 300MW Thanet wind farm including advising on the refinancing and the subsequent sale to Vattenfall AB;
- Drafting the first energy storage power purchase agreement (PPA) in the UK for a leading offtaker; and
- Developing solar PV rooftop models and business structures for a leading renewables developer.
Howard Kennedy has 53 partners and numbers 350 people in total and works alongside national and international clients across many disciplines, including banking, corporate and commercial, family, finance, employment, dispute resolution, intellectual property, private client, real estate and tax. Howard Kennedy has particular focus on the Financial Services, Media and Technology, Real Estate, Retail and Leisure, Sports Individuals sectors, and, through HK One, the firm’s legal concierge service for high net worth individuals with complex legal needs.
Matt Baldwin, Coast
Tel: 01233 503200 / 07930 439739
Daryl Atkinson, Business Development & Marketing Director